Monday, December 8, 2008

Keeping Perspective

I mentioned last week that Witzy was fighting a cough. She fought a really good battle. (She does everything passionately, which I totally love about her!) Then things took a turn and she felt the full blown effects of a realio, trulio cough. Shortly after, the other three got it as well. So, where does that leave me? For the first time I can remember I am caring for four sick children at the same time. I consider it a privilege to love them though their sickness. I am doing my best to boost their immunities so that their bodies can make antibodies, fight the war, and leave the battlefield stronger for the next would-be-invaders. (I'll post more about these specifics soon.)

And all this reminds me of a conversation I had earlier this fall. The discussion was about God's role versus our role in wellness. I'd like to share some of it here for the sake of keeping proper perspective.

First, when we are doing all that is humanly possible to be well, it is easy to forget that our lives are in God's hands. There is a danger in becoming so proud in our thinking that we put ourselves above God in our ability to make and keep ourselves well. This is a form of idol worship. Health is not a god. Neither is our knowledge of the natural world. Truly He has blessed us with so many health-giving foods and herbs. It is wise to use them. But we must walk humbly with the Lord, knowing that He, for a specific purpose, may take our health away. That would be entirely within His scope of authority.

So should we even try? I have heard the argument... if God can make us well or sick on His whim, why should we do anything for our health? Our lives are a gift. Our health is a gift. By His grace we live and move and have our being. Like the parable of the talents, we have been given a gift that we can bury, squander, or multiply for the service of God. I would rather hear, "Well done, my good and faithful servant." Wouldn't you?

I think it is ironic that my children haven't been sick in so long I can't really remember... and that as soon as I start this blog to share with others about health, I have four sick kids. I suppose this could be God's way of prompting me to share about His role in health.

"Lord, make me to know my end,
And what is the measure of my days,
That I may know how frail I am.
Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths,
And my age is as nothing before You;
Certainly every man at his best state is but a vapor. Selah.
... And now, Lord, what do I wait for?
My hope is in You."
Psalm 39:4-7

1 comment:

Hccm said...

Thanks for your post. We all need to be reminded sometimes. The children will be okay!