Thursday, December 4, 2008

Easy Supper Idea

This is what I've got in mind for supper tonight. I love making it because it is a cinch... well, as long as I start the rice on time. I buy long grain brown rice in bulk and it takes 45 minutes to simmer. Yours may take less time, but try to use a whole grain brown rice for the nutrition factor.

1. Get your rice cooking. I have also used jasmine enfussed basmati rice... love it!

2. Saute some carrots, onions and garlic in extra virgin olive oil in a big pot.

3. Throw all other vegetables you have on hand in the pot and let them steam. Tonight I'm using shredded cabbage and some "broccoli slaw" that was discounted at the grocery store. It just contains shredded broccoli, red cabbage and carrots. Use whatever you have on hand and whatever your family likes. My tip is to chop the veggies into small bites or shred them. For some reason, the kids think it tastes yummier that way.

4. When the vegetables are nearly done, add a protein. I've used a few scrambled eggs, leftover turkey, leftover salmon, even chopped up ham (the nitrite free kind, of course). Add salt and pepper to taste.

5. When the rice is done, gently mix it into the vegetables and meat.

6. The kids like slivered almonds sprinkled on top. Or avocado if we have a good and ripe one.

I hope this gives you a healthy idea for a night when you really only have leftovers and rice (which should always be in your pantry).

1 comment:

Stesha said...

I never know what to good, thanks for the recipe.