Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Two Links

Dear Readers,

I hope that you are well! Even though I am still technically taking a blogging break, I have two links I want to share with you.

First, I have wanted to post about lacto-fermentation for a while. Simply, this is a process by which food can be preserved. Lacto-fermented foods are hugely beneficial to our systems since they contain prolific friendly bacteria. They are served as a condiment with each meal in order to increase the assimilation of the meal's nutrients. Sally Fallon includes a chapter on these foods in her book Nourishing Traditions. Now Shannon at Nourishing Days is posting a series on making these foods. It's worth checking out!

Second, I would like to share with you an interesting article on an investigative report into the lead content of crock pots... You might be thinking "Yikes!" The article is eye-opening. When lead content is below the approved FDA level, manufacturers are not required to disclose the amount that leaches into food. Yet it is the cumulative amount that effects our bodies. Read the article if you're curious... and be sure to read the first comment too!

May the rest of your week be full of joy with your family and in the kitchen!

1 comment:

Christy said...

Interesting link about the slow cookers. I'd read of that reporter's research on plates and we changed what we had as a result. I also had heard about the crock pot thing and tossed my old Rival for a new Hamilton Beach because at the time they said it was lead and cadmium free, however they've changed their website since to say its within legal limits. Grr... I talk a bit about that in a few of the very first posts on my blog.