Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Greetings and Birthdays!

Hi again! It is nice to be back... although I might have to come back by degrees. We have had a fantastic start to our school year, but I have grown accustomed to keeping my computer turned off. I'm still deliberating over how I'll fit computer time into our very full days.

The break has been very good. I have spent a lot of time just being with my kids, of course. But, I have also spent time just being creative in the kitchen, which I have missed. When my day is cram-packed, my kitchen time doesn't allow for much piddling. But I love to piddle because that is when I strike upon those really great, do-overable recipes... like on Sunday afternoon when Rainbow and I decided to make a Blueberry Cake, or like when I had enough time to make homemade soaked flatbreads to go with our homemade Gyro Meat and Tzatziki Sauce. These new "inventions" don't happen when I am in a hurry.

While I was away, Spiderman had a perfect birthday celebration too. Here is the spread he chose: (You can read here about our birthday tradition where the birthday kid picks the meal and dessert.)


Grilled Cheddar Burgers, Non-GMO Cornchips with fresh Guacamole, Watermelon, Cherries, Olives, and Crackers with Cucumber Dip (which was supposed to be an appetizer, but everyone was having too much fun to munch while I cooked).

And here is his Coonskin Cap Cake. Yep, he's been reading a few too many frontiersmen biographies.


This cake is a Chocolate Cake with Orange Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing, made in four shades of brown. The next time I post, I'll tell you how a Basic Chocolate Cake recipe from a Southern Living cookbook turned into this healthy, "whole foods" birthday cake. It's really not that hard to tweak recipes, you know ;-)
Just for fun, here are Spiderman's two previous birthday cakes. The first is a Moon Cake complete with Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, and the second is a Sword in the Stone Cake. In case you can't read the sign, it says: "Whoever Pulls Forth This Sword From The Stone Is Worthy To Turn Six." Those are my husband's talented calligraphy and sword-making skills, by the way... I just do cakes.


See you soon!

6 comments:

Noel said...

Such cute birthday cakes! I love the racoon hat. It's good to have you back :)

Tonya said...

I'm so glad to see a post from you! LOVE the cake this year and from years past! I think William chose a wonderfully delicious looking birthday spread.

BTW, it IS very neat-o that our pastors taught the same scripture on Sunday.

See you soon!

Jonesey said...

Those are great lookin' cakes!

Coonskin cap is so fun!

Soma said...

Those are unique cakes you got there. I do hope they taste as good as they look. And even if I don't know the people celebrating their birthdays, might as well greet them,

Happy birthday to you all. :)

Anonymous said...

Clever cakes! Would love to hear how you made the cake recipe more healthful!

For Their Future said...

What a great pick for birthday cakes! He must be a smart boy!
I and my husband were both impressed. Keep up the good work!

I will have to follow your blog to see how you cook healthier! And maybe you can give me cake tips!
God bless!