Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Pita Pizzas

Last Friday my husband was with us all morning long. Since he is content to eat the same breakfast and lunch every single weekday, when he is home I really like to bless him by preparing something more exciting. So, Friday morning we had omelets and honeydew melon for breakfast. Then, for lunch we ate pita pizzas with avocado slices on top. They were absolutely delicious. Each of my children love avocado, which I will post about next.


I know that some of you readers are on wheat-free or strictly-soaked-wheat diets. I totally see how that is beneficial. However, we do eat whole wheat pitas when we have no homemade bread available. (I like to always be prepared, but alas, I am no supermom... even though I aspire to that!) I do hope to share some more wheat-free recipes soon, but today I would like to post a simple pita pizza recipe for those readers who can eat whole wheat.


It is wonderfully simple. Here goes:
  • Lay six uncut pitas down on a cookie sheet.
  • Spread a spoonful of salsa over each one.
  • Layer cheddar cheese over the top.
  • Bake until the cheese is melted.
  • Serve with thinly sliced avocados on top.
Is that too simple? It is quick and easy and breaks the regular sandwich routine... so I thought it was worth sharing.


A note on ingredients: You will want to read the labels in order to select pitas and salsa that contain only real ingredients and no added sugars.

No comments: