Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Personal Letter

I have recently gained several new readers, and I got to thinking that not all of you may "know" me. I'd like to know you better too. So, today I'm going to write you a letter with my thoughts and some things about me.

And I would love for you to take a moment to introduce yourself as well. If you'd like, write a similar letter on your blog and leave your link below. Or, tell me something about yourself and what you're thinking in the comments. I'm looking forward to getting to know you, as are the rest of my readers who are looking for friends with health interests in common.



Dear Bloggy Friends, Fellow-Wellness-Pursuers, and Cohorts-in-All-Things-Healthy,


Thank you for spending some time on Health Begins With Mom! I hope that what I write here is inspiring to you. I hope that it gives you direction and motivation as you try to create a healthy life for you and your loved ones.

Personally, I am inspired when I see the bright energy and love of life that my children possess. First, it makes me smile. It brings me out of my entanglement with the duties of my day. And second, it stirs up in me a desire to protect that life, to nurture the body and soul that has the potential to change the world. I am blessed to be called mother, to have the opportunity to nurture my children... which includes their physical health AND their spiritual health.

I have been seriously thinking the past five months about how I spend my time. In evaluating, it seems that everything I do is valuable and productive. I am not one to waste any time. In fact, I am just the opposite. I set very high expectations for myself and am very hard on myself if I do not meet them. I struggle to keep myself from being too task-oriented -- to make myself more relationship-oriented. But how much busyness is too much? Is it possible to be too productive?

Recently, in reading about Amy Carmichael, my thoughts were completely summed up in one sentence: "Beware of the barrenness of a busy life."

That sentence cuts right to my heart. It is possible to be so "productive" that we do not have time to cultivate certain fruits in our lives -- to miss true relationship opportunities.

I want to order my life carefully. And so I don't post every day. But I have a long list of topics to post about at the right time!

Did you know I am a real life introvert? Well, yes, I am. It takes effort for me to talk! But, I value encouraging others enough to step out of my comfort zone in order to strike up a conversation and keep it going.

It has been my experience that our lives are full of people and full of information and full of people sharing information, but empty of real encouragement and connection. So, I write Health Begins With Mom to go beyond information sharing in an attempt to encourage you in your privileged position as family nurturer.

So there you have it. I am a driven, deliberate, extrovert-in-training who is trying to live a life (and write a blog) that inspires life and wellness, joy and peace.

I look forward to reading about you! I'm pleased to meet you,

4 comments:

Noel said...

I tend to stay so busy, always gotta be moving on to the next thing, but I have to admit, it's nice to just lay on the grass, watch the clouds drift by and talk with my kids. As a mom, there's always something that needs to be done.

Kathryn said...

Well, i just wrote of the barrenness of face book on my alternative blog, I Looked For Love (http://4katekattoo.blogspot.com/)

Mentioned it at my regular spot, too. I am NOT blessed to be called "mama" tho i've always desired it. God has other plans for me, i guess. But i am deeply blessed by my Godly husband & our lifestyle. And i'll meet my children in heaven.

Tara Stevens said...

Hi there, I was just wondering if you were aware that this site is reproducing all your posts: http://www.healthfitnesssupport.com/quick-meal-ideas-affordability-of-eating-healthy-part-five

I've only just discovered that they've been doing it with mine over the last 4 months, I'm furious but there's no way of contacting the site owner and they're ignoring the comment I'm leaving on 'my' posts.

This site is ad-driven, so basically the posts they're stealing from you are being used to line their pockets.

:-(

Just thought you should know

Tara

Ami said...

I found your blog last fall, could it have been through Money Saving Mom? I have 3 little children and I homeschool. When my second child was born 4 years ago I started becoming aware of how much sugar and processed food we ate. Since then I've progressively gotten changed our eating habits for the better but we have a long way to go.

I love gardening (just planted the spring garden last night!), cooking and making crafts. As my children grow I'm wondering what I need to give up in order to love my family and keep my sanity. Parenting is hard, but it is worth it. Every day I am reminded of the eternal rewards of raising these children up to serve the Lord.

Thank you for your blog, I've been enjoying it and I love your recipes!