Monday, January 18, 2010

Postpartum Recovery Tips

I read an article last November about some studies that showed the antioxidants in Green Tea were a positive aid to wound recovery. I kept that information in a file in the back of my brain. If I ever needed to recover from a major skin wound, I would pull that article back to mind. Then, the cesarean. And the article came rushing back into my mind... the antioxidants found in Green Tea will help my body to heal from my incision!

We don't usually think of recovering from childbirth as "wound recovery." Yet, at the very least, the placental site is an open wound that takes up to six weeks to completely heal. Then, add to that the perineal trauma, possible tear or episiotomy site... and, in the case of a cesarean, the incision. Yep, that sounds like wound healing to me!

When I got home from the hospital, I started drinking a cup or two of Green Tea to give my body an extra boost in healing. (Decaf is a great choice for the second cup!) I really enjoy Tazo's Zen Tea, which is a blend of green tea with lemongrass and spearmint. In addition to Green Tea, I am continuing to take an increased amount of Vitamin C and Vitamin E, both of which have been shown to help in skin health and in wound recovery... I mean in addition to what is in my daily vitamins.

And don't forget rest! Rest is paramount to healing. Cells recover and rejuvenate while we sleep. Too much activity too soon can also aggravate the placental site. In an ideal world, all mothers of newborns would "sleep while the baby sleeps." But, really, with older children in the house, we just have to take what rest we can get!

Hmmm... posting a picture of my incision to show how nicely it is healing is not going to happen. (But you wouldn't believe how many such photos are posted online!) Since I won't show you my scar, here is a much more pleasant picture of The New Little One. Don't you just love how he is holding his hands in little fists?



For your health,

3 comments:

Noel said...

he is growing so fast! It's so good to see you blogging again. I used to try to drink green tea before bed thinking it would settle me down, but after a couple night's sleep I gave it up - couldn't sleep a wink! It's good to know I wasn't just imagining it - green tea is caffienated :)

I would definitely call a ceasarean "wound recovery"!!! Glad you're feeling better. Take it easy!

Melanie and Josh said...

ummm...is it just me, or does he look like spiderman....not the REAL spiderman of course, but big brother spiderman? how fun!

Kristi said...

I'm glad it's helping you so much! I'm still praying that you will recover as quickly as possible...I'm glad to hear that this is aiding that!