Thursday, May 15, 2014

Creative Quiche

With 55 chickens, our family eats a whole lot of eggs! We sell quite a few, but we have plenty left for our family. That’s a good thing because eggs are good for you. But a few days in a row of the same scrambled eggs with muffins gets a little bit tiring. So we are always looking for good egg recipes.

A sweet friend of mine from church gave me this basic recipe for quiche along with a couple variations. I’ve added a few of my own to the bundle.

Basic Quiche
  • 12 eggs
  • 12 shakes of salt (or about a ½ teaspoon)
  • 12 shakes of pepper (or about ½ teaspoon)
  • 6 shakes of garlic powder (or about a ¼ teaspoon)
  • ½ cup of cottage cheese (you could use sour cream or plain yogurt too, but I think cottage cheese works best texture-wise)
  • Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to 1 hour. It depends on how thick your quiche is.
  • This basic quiche recipe can be halved or doubled and the ratios are easy to remember. For every egg, a shake of salt, a shake of pepper, and half as much garlic... with a spoonful of something white.

Broccoli Cheddar
To the basic recipe add…
  • 1 cup of finely chopped broccoli florets
  • 2/3 cup of grated cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 to 1/2 of a medium onion, diced


Mushroom Parmesan
To the basic recipe add…
  • 2/3 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 to 1/2 of a medium onion, diced


Spinach Parmesan
To the basic recipe add…
  • 1 cup cooked or frozen spinach
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Peppers and onions
To the basic recipe add…
  • 1/2 parmesan cheese
  • 2 large cloves of garlic, crushed
  • about ¾ to 1 cup of sautéed red, yellow, and orange peppers
  • 1 medium sautéed onion
  • about 8 shakes of crushed red pepper flakes, if you like spice




Yesterday, I was making up a recipe for quiche, and I came up with the peppers and onions variation. I didn’t put cheese in though, and we didn’t have cottage cheese, so the result was more like baked scrambled eggs. Very flavorful, but not very quichey. I think the cheese would make a huge difference. Actually, you could add cheese to the top of any of these variations. Cheese makes everything yummy.

I don’t use a crust for my quiches (as you can see from the picture). It may sound weird, but that’s the way my family likes it best.

Most of the time, when I use a dozen eggs, I cook the quiche in an 8” by 8” pan.


The muffins in these pictures are a successful batch of the Fabulously Funny Flop, with added craisins, coconut and almonds.

Rainbow



1 comment:

Tonya said...

I hardly EVER get on blogger anymore. It has probably been six months since I logged into my account. I was SO SURPRISED and EXCITED to see you back!!! I miss you!!! I have thought about blogging again, but I truly feel like I've lost my blogging voice. We'll see! Lots of love to you and your fam! HUGS!

T